11.02.2012

Eat Cake for Breakfast

It's November! This is the month of magic. Christmas music, christmas cups at Starbucks, Jonnie's birthday and my wedding!

Yesterday was pure magic. I went to the mall early in the morning to finish some errands, the air was brisk and I heard Christmas music playing. Heaven. Normally, I try to hold out with Christmas celebrations till after Thanksgiving so I can savor every minute, but I was excited. So I got myself a Pumpkin Spice Latte in my Starbucks Christmas cup and finished some last minute shopping for my wonderful fiancé's birthday.

I had to get creative with his birthday this year as we are on a tight budget, but those are the most fun presents to give! I decided that because his birthday is the first of November, the month we will get married, I will give him one small gift everyday until our wedding. This has been so fun to put together, it encouraged me to really think about the small things that would bless Jon without having to spend too much money. Some of the gifts are goofy and simple, some of them are "real" gifts (can't gift it away yet!).


For the morning of his birthday, I prepared this amazing breakfast cake, which I will share with you! I love this recipe, because it's serving size is perfect for these two 3 inch ramekins. 


Berries and Cream Breakfast Cake (adapted from Urban Poser
  • 1/4 cup coconut flour
  • 1/4 tsp baking soda
  • 1/8 tsp salt
  • 5 egg yolks
  • 3 tablespoons honey (or agave)
  • 1/4 cup coconut oil
  • 2 tablespoons full-fat coconut milk
  • 1/4 cup raspberries (or another of your choice)
Preheat over to 350 degrees. Blend the dry ingredients together. In a separate bowl beat the egg yolks until thick and pale then add the honey, oil and milk. Add the flour mixture and mix until well incorporated. Fill 2 ramekins 3/4 full. Break up raspberries with your hands and place them on top of the batter, press in gently. Bake for 20-25 minutes. The cake should "bounce back" when you touch it. 

Let the cake cool for just a few minutes. To serve, break up the top of the cake just a bit and pour in some cold coconut milk. Enjoy!