10.04.2012

Coconut Flour Breakfast Cookies

Cookies for breakfast? Yes! Ok, I guess they are more like a scone, but growing up I always knew them as breakfast cookies. My Nonna used to make these gems in massive quantities and it is just about all I ate for breakfast as a kid. I'd take two and mash them up in a bowl of chocolate milk. Healthy right?

My family used to live just a few houses away from my Nonno and Nonna, which was amazing; regular lunch dates and a never ending supply of our favorite goodies. A few years back we moved a little farther away so we didn't get those cookies as often as I would love. Not to mention, since I've recently gone gluten-free I can't enjoy them anyway. SO! To the coconut flour!

The cookies/scone/biscuit/breakfast item turned out great! They certainly taste different, which I expected based on coconut flour replacing all-purpose flour. I still love them though! It is still a great item to pair with your morning coffee.



Ingredients: 
  • 1 cup of coconut flour plus 2 or 3 tablespoons
  • 3/4 cup of sugar
  • 6 eggs
  • 3 tsp baking powder
  • 2 tsp vanilla
  • 1/2 cup vegetable oil
  • 1/2 cup melted butter

Directions
Preheat over to 350 degrees. Mix 1 cup of flour and baking powder. In a separate bowl mix all the other ingredients. The dough should be thick, "moderately stiff" as Nonna would say. I recommend starting with only one cup of flour so you can add more as you see fit. 
Spray a cookie sheet. Take small bits of the dough and roll into 2-3 inch balls. It works better if you have some oil handy to get your hands wet so the dough won't stick to your hands! 
Bake for 20 minutes or until golden and enjoy!

So tell me, what was your favorite treat growing up as a child??