9.04.2012

Grain-free/Dairy-free Pound Cake

A few months ago, I decided to try going gluten-free. Some of my close friends are gluten-free because of an allergy and I thought I'd try it out to see how I felt. I felt so much better pretty quickly. I was sleeping better, I didn't feel "weighed down" after eating and I felt like I had more energy! Eating gluten-free has actually been a lot of fun for me because of how much I love baking and cooking. It has forced me to do research and get creative. Not to mention, it keeps me away from spending so much money on eating out or sneaking that pumpkin scone at Starbucks.

Summer isn't quite over so I thought I'd make a little treat for my fiancé and I after a long day of tirelessly laying on the beach ;)

This was my first time playing around with coconut flour and I must say, I was extremely pleased with how it came out. Coconut flour is low in carbs, high in fiber and nutrients so it's practically a guilt-free dessert! :)

Grain-free/Dairy-free Pound cake, adapted from Urban Poser
1/2 cup plus 2 tsp coconut flour
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp baking soda
5 whole eggs, 2 of them separated
1/2 cup coconut oil
1/2 cup agave
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
2 tsp lemon juice
Diced fruit (I used strawberries and blueberries)

Directions: 
Preheat over to 350 degrees.
Mix the dry ingredients and set aside. (NOTE: don't pack the coconut flour, it's naturally dense and absorbent).

Separate two eggs and set whites aside. Put the yokes in with the rest of the eggs. Beat together coconut oil, agave, vanilla and lemon juice and once they are well combined, mix the dry ingredients in until smooth. Add the eggs (not the separated whites) until well incorporated.

Beat the egg whites until thick peaks form and fold into the batter. Pour into a greased 8 inch pan and bake for about 30-45 minutes.

Allow the cake to cool completely and cut into 1 inch cubs, layer with fruit and whipped cream and enjoy!

Makes about 4 cups of diced cake.