3.19.2012

Rainy Days, Mondays

It was a rainy weekend in San Diego, and my friends and I observed how activities are so limited here when it rains. Everything to do is San Diego is outside! SO, the blessing is it forces us to get creative INSIDE. One of my favorite things to do on a rainy day is bake some goodies and drink tea.

These are some of my favorite cookies right now. I recently started eating gluten free as an experiment to see how it improved my sleep, energy etc...and I felt pretty healthy not long after cutting it out of my diet, so I decided to stick with it. I've been doing experimenting with different gluten free alternatives to baked goods and most of my recipes are taken from Elana's Pantry. Her recipes are easy and actually very healthy alternatives! (Well, comparatively of course!)


Chocolate Chip Cookies (gluten free/dairy free)
3 cups blanched almond flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp sea salt
1/2 cup agave
1/2 grape seed oil
1 tbs vanilla extract
1 cup dark chocolate chips

Preheat over to 350 degrees. Mix dry ingredients. Mix wet ingredients in a separate bowl and then combine with the dry ingredients. Add chocolate chips! Place on a greased cookie sheet in about 1-11/2 inch balls and bake for 7-10 minutes.

Elana's recipe calls for a little less flour, and she also states that Bob's Red Mill blanched almond flour doesn't yield successful results. As it was the only almond flour I was able to find, I wanted to find out how they actually turned out. The first time I made it, the cookies came out flat and a little runny. The second time, I added flour and made the dough balls a tad bigger and it worked fine. However, using a different brand if you have it available, would probably be more effective.