3.16.2012

Gluten Free Date, Walnut and Gorgonzola Pizza



My boyfriend and I LOVE dates. The fruit (and the occasion!) Every Saturday we go to the Little Italy Farmers Market, almost solely to buy them. I hate seeing them go to waste, and as we are both doing Gluten Free right now, I thought I’d get creative and make a sweet and savory pizza for him. I was SO excited about how this turned out. I made a couple adjustments to a few different recipes I found and this is what I came up with. SO easy.
Gluten Free Almond Flour Crust
  • 1 1/2 cups blanched almond flour
  • 1/4 tsp sea salt
  • 1/4 tsp baking soda
  • 1 egg
  • 1 tbl grapeseed oil
Mix everything together and roll out in between parchment paper to about 1/4 inch thick (or thicker if you prefer). Transfer onto a non stick baking sheet and place in and oven at 350 degrees for about 10 minutes until light golden brown. Don’t cook it too much because you will bake it again with the toppings. 
Toppings 
  • Dates
  • Walnuts
  • Onion
  • Gorgonzola
  • Balsamic
  • Brown Sugar
  • Arugula
I didn’t put any measurements because it’s really up to each person to decide how loaded they want their pizza. Some may prefer more or less of something!
Heat oil in pan and fry onions till soft. Mix brown sugar and balsamic vinegar together until it is almost thick and spread over crust. Place arugula or any mixed greens, then chopped dates, onions, walnuts and gorgonzola. Bake again for 10-15 minutes. 
There you have it! I completely forgot to take “process” pictures as I wasn’t sure how it would turn out but here is the finished product!